Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Forgive or Forget


I don't like taking revenge.
I act nicely to people who have hurt me.
Therefore, I always thought myself as a forgiving person.

But, in Mental Health class, something slapped me.
A presentation about "forgiveness" by a group of friends leaves me wondering,
"Do I really forgive?"

>>
Forgiveness occurs when the injured party chooses to
"view the wrongdoer with compassion, benevolence, and love"
while recognizing that he or she,
by the unjust actions,
has abandoned the right to these moral gifts
(North, 1987, p.502)

Forgiveness is constructed by cognitive, affective, and behavioral realms.
It's not the same as pardoning, condoning, forgetting and/or denial.
<<

Maybe what I do is just forgetting.
I have a strong defense mechanism called repression.
I bury negative feelings and don't intend to remember it again.
If I forget the feelings, then I can't hate it, right?
But, when something comes up & reminds me of the scar,
the anger haunts me again.
Guess I don't really forgive...??

Forgiving to me sounds like utopia.
As a weak creature, how can I do it perfectly?
But, as Bible said, I have to learn to forgive genuinely.
It's worth to try.

dr. Forgiving is the best surgeon to your broken heart.
He pulls the pieces together and works for a whole recovery.
While dr. Forgetting gives you morphine
to remove the painful feeling for a while.
The scar is actually still in there,
rotting your heart slowly
(Faustina, 2010).